Chemicals and Dangerous Goods Handling & Packing
Packing and handling chemicals and dangerous goods requires strict adherence to storage and handling of dangerous goods safety regulations and guidelines to prevent accidents and protect human health and the environment. This process involves selecting appropriate packaging materials, labelling, and storage procedures and compliance with local and international regulations governing the transportation and handling of hazardous substances. It is critical to prioritise safety and ensure that chemicals and dangerous goods are packaged, stored, and transported to minimise risks and hazards associated with their use. As premier chemical importers, we specialise in sourcing and delivering high-quality products to meet diverse industrial needs.
Why Is It Important to Safely Store Hazardous Chemicals?
Hazardous chemicals can have devastating consequences, as they can cause fires, explosions, injuries, poisoning, and property damage if stored improperly. Additionally, some hazardous chemicals are incompatible with each other, and when they mix, they can trigger explosions, release toxic, flammable or corrosive gases, and corrode chemical containers.
Two critical objectives are achieved by identifying incompatible hazardous chemicals and ensuring they are stored well away from each other. Firstly, it minimises the likelihood of incidents and reactions that could harm people or the environment. Secondly, it reduces the chance that stored chemicals will contribute to or worsen an incident, ultimately safeguarding lives, property, and the surrounding ecosystem.
Storing Hazardous Chemicals Safely
Storing hazardous chemicals safely is a paramount concern at our facility. We implement various measures to ensure the secure storage of hazardous substances storage and handling of dangerous goods. We use:
- Safe Containers: At Chemical Solutions, our commitment to storing hazardous chemicals safely begins with using specially designed containers that meet rigorous safety and regulatory standards dangerous goods standards. These containers are not only in sound condition but are also carefully selected to ensure they can safely contain the chemical substances they house. We pay meticulous attention to compatibility, ensuring that the container materials suit the specific chemicals they hold.
- Underground Storage: We employ an advanced approach to enhance safety and environmental protection by utilising underground storage for certain hazardous chemicals.
- Storage and Handling Systems: We utilise advanced storage and handling systems that facilitate safe and efficient chemical management.
- Bulk Storage Systems: We have dedicated bulk storage areas with enhanced safety features and protocols to mitigate risks associated with bulk chemical storage for chemicals stored in large quantities.
Our Dangerous Goods Handling Procedures
We are extra careful when storing and handling chemicals and dangerous goods and adhere to all dangerous goods standards. While the steps we follow for storage may differ based on the chemical we are handling, there are specific guidelines we follow always. These include:
- Being Extra Careful when Handling Big Packages: We take extra precautions when dealing with larger quantities or packages of hazardous substances. This may include using specialised equipment for handling, ensuring secure storage, and implementing additional safety measures during transportation.
- Dispensing Dangerous Goods Away from Incompatible Chemicals: When we take dangerous chemicals out of their containers, there's a chance they might mix with other hazardous substances that don't get along with them. When these incompatible dangerous goods mix, they create hazards or spark chemical reactions dangerous to people and property. To prevent this, we dispense dangerous goods in isolated areas, away from other incompatible classes of hazardous goods.
- Wear the Right Gear When Handling Dangerous Substances: Our workers handling hazardous chemicals wear appropriate Personal Protective Equipment or PPE to protect themselves from exposure. This may include gloves, goggles, masks, or specialised suits. Regular maintenance and inspection of PPE are conducted to ensure its effectiveness.
- Read and Understand the Safety Sheet: The Safety Data Sheet (SDS) provides critical information about the chemical, including its properties, hazards, safe handling practices, and emergency response procedures. Our employees are trained to read and understand the SDS to minimise risks associated with the chemical.
Handling Flammable Substances
When dealing with dangerous goods like asphyxiants and combustible dusts, we ensure the following:
- Correct storage of these substances in confined spaces
- Compatibility of the storage space to contain spills
- Restrict their supply and access to minors below the age of 16 years.
Transporting Dangerous Goods
Safety is our priority at Chemical Solutions, and we take great care when transporting dangerous goods. We are proud to hold a license that allows us to transport dangerous goods, including those produced through toll manufacturing and contract manufacturing services, in quantities that exceed set limits. This license reflects our commitment to adhering to stringent safety standards and regulations while ensuring the secure and responsible transportation of hazardous substances. With an experienced team and our dedication to compliance, we can handle and transport dangerous goods with the utmost care and expertise, providing peace of mind to our clients and partners.
Get in Touch
We are committed to all dangerous goods storage and handling regulations to ensure your safety and peace of mind. For more information on our storage and handling of hazardous goods, contact us at 1300 708 558.